Saturday, January 10, 2015
The Dance Complex, Studio #1
For the first time in our seven- year history, Vadalna will open our doors for a public audition on Saturday, January 10th from 12:00-2:00pm.
We describe our work as ritual performance. Each piece, movement, and story reaches into the vast unknown. From mystery is woven a tapestry of narratives brought to life. Our dance is not meant as mere movement, but a complete embodiment where struggles and joy, ritual and initiation are lived experiences on stage.
We come together, sisters and brothers in the dance. Each dancer brings his or her own unique element. We draw strength and grace from our dancers’ diverse training and it is through our varied paths that one, unique unified artistic vision emerges: the re-awakening of the human spirit.
If you are interested in auditioning for Vadalna, here are a few key points to consider:
- Our Style: Vadalna is first and foremost a ritual performance company. This means, that while we base our movement on belly dance, quite a lot of our work features modern dance movement when it is best suited to communicating a piece’s particular narrative or feeling. You must be willing to learn and perform both (and fusion of the two).
- Courage: As a ritual performance company, dancers are often asked to delve into the deepest parts of themselves, parts that are may be uncomfortable or unknown. You must be willing to stretch yourself to your emotional limits and often trust in the process.
- Being Part of a Company: Being part of a company is not for everyone. Some dancers thrive at being soloists while others prefer to dance along side of their sisters. You must be willing to work as a team, sometimes (but not always) forgoing the spotlight to put the entire troupe forward.
- Practice: You are expected to come to rehearsal prepared. That means rehearsing on your own during the week and maintaining your personal brand of individual practice to keep your skills sharp.
- Showing Up: You are expected to be present at all rehearsals and performances. If you have made a commitment to a performance you have made a commitment to the troupe. Each dancer is held as being crucially important and as such we need you present. Currently Vadalna rehearses on Sundays from 6-9pm.
- Dues & Financial Obligations: At this time, all dancers chip in $30 per month to cover studio space and general overhead (such as website hosting, etc.). If and when it is financially possible, Vadalna would love to do away with this… We’re working on it. From time to time, Vadalna holds photoshoots and/or invests in makes purchases toward costuming. All additional expenses are cleared with dancers before moving forward if dancers are being asked to contribute.
What we are looking for:
- Fluidity & Passion: First and foremost we are seekingwould like dancers who are passionate about their art. Who crave it. Dancers who are willing to try modern one day and drill cabaret movements like mad the next.
- Dedication to the Sacred: We are looking for dancers who are dedicated to the sacred, in whatever way that manifests for you.
- Commitment: We are looking for dancers who take joining a troupe seriously, who know that their actions affect all other company members, and who find being part of a collective enriching.
- Varying Levels of Technique & Backgrounds: We do not expect you to be Rachel Brice. ☺ We do expect you to work hard and be driven towards improvement. We also do not expect you to be solely a belly dancer or solely a modern dancer, but we do ask that you are willing to learn technique from either and both.
What you will need to audition:
- Fill out and complete our online registration form. Click here.
- Download a PDF copy of this audition information sheet. Please print, sign and bring it with you the day of the audition. Click here to download your PDF.
- Prepare a 3-5 minute solo to perform the day of the audition.
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you in January!